[thelist] Presenting information graphically

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Tue May 15 06:11:49 CDT 2007

I am working with someone who, at the moment, is outputting reports
based on an organization's performance in various areas of its activity.
This is web based and only requires the user to have IE and an internet
connection.

The information is output listing the top level domains with the option
of drilling down through any or all sub domains.

The result can be a long page of lists and sub lists with numerous keys,
icons and colours indicating type, status etc.

The reports are available to various types of user including
administrators, staff and customers which means for some the lists are
helpful and for others they present too much information.

Some visualization has been attempted by drawing stick and circle images
with the ability to zoom in on satellites and drill down for information
from these satellites. The problem here is that a mass of lists and
words has simply been translated into a mass of sticks and circles.

Essentially, I want be able to view detailed information in a particular
domain without detaching it from other domains. I have ideas about the
best way of presenting this data but I would welcome suggestions as to
which web technology (preferably open source or free demo) would be most
appropriate for this bearing in mind it must be viewable on a standard
browser.

I have some experience with Flash and would be happy to pursue that line
of enquiry.

Sorry if this is a little vaque.

The application is .net based.

Kind Regards
--
Chris Price

Choctaw

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
http://www.choctaw.co.uk

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 451 4488

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
while Excellence is in the Hand of the Professional

-+- Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd -+-

Choctaw Media Limited is a company
registered in England and Wales
with company number 04627649

Registered Office: