[thelist] Project Management Software

Scott Wehrenberg swehren at gmail.com
Thu May 17 20:50:59 CDT 2007

On 5/17/07, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> hi...
>
> just saw the question... can you give me/the list a list of your
> requirements/issues that you need addressed? also, are you looking to have
> your own app on your internal box, or are you looking to use a hosted
> solution.

Our requirements are actually pretty modest. We're actually probably
closer to the bug tracking end of the spectrum on capabilites than
project management, although I do want something that at least supprts
developing new projects as well as it does tracking bugs in them. The
only must-haves are good email integration so that developers don't
HAVE to go to the portal for most of the tasks and something similar
to Basecamp's managment of files and notes/discussions surrounding
those files. A wiki+bug tracker would probably suit our needs if it
had the email integration we wanted.

We'd prefer to have whatever we use on our own box here, but it'd be
acceptable if a hosted system had what we're looking for.

> we're just starting to kick the tires on gforge (www.gforge.org) as well as
> take a look at pnet (www.project.net). gforge is hooked to svn, pnet will be
> hooked to a svn later on.. however, you could use pnet for the project mgmt
> portion, and then use something like alfresco (www.alfresco.com) to handle
> the doc mgmt function....

Gforge definitely looks nice, although I couldn't get a good feel for
how well it integrated with email. I'd love to have some of the
heavier features such as scheduling, time tracking, gantt, etc. bu
they're definitely not requirements for us at this time, and I imagine
we'll end up with something much lighter weight for the time being.