[thelist] have a number increase on a webpage over time

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:45:37 CDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Nan Harbison <nan at nanharbison.com> wrote:
> Anyway, I have tried several ways of doing this, none of which worked except
> putting it as an include on each page, where the include refreshes. (it is
> under the header and doesn't show when the count is 0). I set it to refresh
> every 3.6 seconds because one child somewhere in the world dies of
> malnutrition every 3.6 seconds and it was working fine. But when you use
> Internet Explorer, every time it refreshes it makes that annoying clicking
> sound. So I set it to only refresh every 30 seconds, which
> So the question is, is there any way to make IE shut up? Or is there a
> better way to do this?

Assume that there is a span that is referenced to the javascript
variable countSpan.

This is not the fully "correct" way to do it, but it will get you in
the right direction.

function incrementCount()
   countSpan.innerHTML = (+countSpan.innerHTML) + 1;

window.onload = function() {window.setInterval(incrementCount, 3600);}

The span needs to look like this in the markup:

Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA