[thelist] job estimates with unknowns

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Tue May 22 11:04:11 CDT 2007

> hardpressed to find the time to sit down with me

unfortunately, I've discovered every time that this theme doesn't
change. they're too busy to decide what they want, too busy to approve
rough drafts, too busy to make decisions, too busy to do anything. the
project ends up dragging on forever, or stalling, or you end up invoking
your 'deadline = pay me anyway' clause, which makes no friends.

if you absolutely want to work with them, either quote so high that no
amount of wasted time and frustrating interaction will depress you, or
quote time and materials for a generous hourly rate.

but in the real world, I've discovered that when I pass up problem
clients like this (yes, even some very nice people) it's left me time
for projects which were much better thought out and actually got done

joel