[thelist] What is the best programming language for the web?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri May 25 09:40:08 CDT 2007

On 25 May 2007, at 02:30, Judah McAuley wrote:

> The initial cost of any application server is, of course,
> only part of the cost of a project. If it takes you twice as long to a
> project in perl than it would take you to do it in CF, the upfront
> cost
> of purchasing CF might be worth it. Of course, it may also not be
> worth
> it. I just took his statement to mean that "free application server"
> doesn't mean "lower costing project". I may be wrong though.

Indeed this is true. However:
1) If it's not a vast difference, then most services companies will
naturally favour the revenue in the services component, rather than
the sw license costs.

2) While some will suck their teeth at shelling out USD1k on server
software, you have to remember that in the scale of things, that's
cheap as chips. If you think Macromedia are coining it, try buying a
copy of Websphere Portal Server, and the hw to run it on. And in the
balance of overall costs, USD1k is well under a week of developer
time, providing you with a whole bunch of stuff you don't have to
worry about developing, testing or fixing. If that layer goes wrong,
you call Adobe Support, and it gets fixed.

See? One argument each way. Don't say I'm not evenhanded ;-)

Cheers
Martin
(Currently working on a Flex-based large consumer site...)
 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website:
http://www.purpur.co.uk/announcing-purpur-associates