[thelist] password management application

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Sat May 26 10:21:38 CDT 2007

> > From: John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com>
> > Date: May 24, 2007 1:29 PM
> > Subject: password management application
> > To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> >

> > I have an interesting request to determine the feasibility of a data
> > "management" application that would provide an interface for password
> > management and encryption.  I wonder if something similar already
> > exists, or if you have any thoughts on how this could be done.

At first blush, thought you might be looking for something like a single sign
on app such as Sxip http://www.sxip.com/

> > The application would:
> > - present an interface for password entry and retrieval
> > - allow users to enter a password
> > - encrypt that password using multiple GPG/PGP public keys

So far it sounds like a normal database using encryption instead of just an
md5 hash. Not exactly sure what you mean by multiple keys.

> > - allow users to retrieve encrypted passwords (and decrypt them using
> > their GPG/PGP key)
> > - inform the "owner" of a password that has been retrieved by someone
> > (so they have the option of changing it)

Getting kind of lost now, why would password be able to be retrieved by
someone else other than the owner?

> > Optimally, the app would automate the decryption for the user, but
> > that is not a "requirement".
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Just a reminder that the list is fairly vacant on weekends...almost sounds
like when I run the command system-config-authentication and the appy that
runs locally, must be something similar for Windows too - but you're talking
about a web https thing though yes?

Off to the weekend races myself, sorry can't help more...
--
cheers,

        mark