[thelist] MS Silverlight

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Thu May 31 21:47:47 CDT 2007

Martin Burns wrote:
> On 29 May 2007, at 19:50, John Dowdell wrote:
> > Macromedia Flash Player has been on *nix since the start:
> > http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/
> > download/alternates
>
> Lovely. Now can we please have a version that runs on AMD64? Because
> my otherwise rather nice new Ubuntu box for the kids is sitting
> useless because they can't use most of
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies

You're right, there's not much here yet. 64-bit architectures, for various tools and operating systems, are on the way, but no operating system yet has much Adobe code at all, to claim the newer, larger memory spaces. (Linux users are in particular pain here, because they moved to larger memory addressing before people on Mac and Win have.)

Background, as of earlier this year:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/archives/2007/01/64-bit_developm.cfm

If you're on 64-bit common Linux today, and prefer to use a 64-bit browser, then people do wrap 32-bit bit plugins to do so:
http://www.jamesward.org/wordpress/2006/12/06/flash-9-on-64bit-linux-in-2-commands/

jd/adobe