[thelist] Fwd: Re: MS Silverlight

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 10:02:49 CDT 2007

On 1 Jun 2007, at 03:47, John Dowdell wrote:

> Martin Burns wrote:
>> On 29 May 2007, at 19:50, John Dowdell wrote:
>>> Macromedia Flash Player has been on *nix since the start:
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/
>>> download/alternates
>>
>> Lovely. Now can we please have a version that runs on AMD64? Because
>> my otherwise rather nice new Ubuntu box for the kids is sitting
>> useless because they can't use most of
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies
>
> You're right, there's not much here yet. 64-bit architectures, for
> various tools and operating systems, are on the way, but no
> operating system yet has much Adobe code at all, to claim the
> newer, larger memory spaces. (Linux users are in particular pain
> here, because they moved to larger memory addressing before people
> on Mac and Win have.)
>
> Background, as of earlier this year:
> http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/archives/2007/01/64-bit_developm.cfm
>
> If you're on 64-bit common Linux today, and prefer to use a 64-bit
> browser, then people do wrap 32-bit bit plugins to do so:
> http://www.jamesward.org/wordpress/2006/12/06/flash-9-on-64bit-
> linux-in-2-commands/

Thanks John - that led me to
which is a one-click script for installing Flash9 on 64-bit Ubuntu.

And it works like a dream.

(In the interests of spreading this useful doo-dad via Google-fu,
I also recorded it on evolt.org's irc channel's joint blog:
http://spool.evolt.org.uk/?day=./2007/06/02/2007-06-02.xml ) [1]

Cheers
Martin

[1]  For those who didn't know:

a) evolt.org has an IRC channel: #evolt on freenode.

b) The channel has a super-easy way of blogging handy links. As noted
by m'learned friend:
http://handelaar.org/blog/2007/04/what-did-you-do-during-the-election-daddy
the format is *bluddy grate* and way easier than firing up a full
blogging interface. Links and comments get output to
http://spool.evolt.org

--
"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam