[thelist] CSS help for the Linux Foundation

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 22 20:18:19 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 13:18 -0700, ryan wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am helping the Linux Foundation (a great consortium
> that helps Linux Torvalds and works to encourage Linux adoption in the
> enterprise market). But I am mostly a backend programmer. Recently,
> we've been trying to apply a new design from an image comp. I spent a
> lot of time making the HTML and CSS perfect, developing in Firefox.

If you haven't already, you might want to read
<http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html>.

> You can see how the site is supposed to look by surfing in Firefox to
> http://testmediawiki.freestandards.org/
>
> Then I looked at the page in IE6/PC

IE6 for Windows, not IE6 for the PC. See
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#PC>

> and it was *completely messed up*. I upgraded to IE7 and it actually
> improved considerably, but there are still a couple widgets on the
> homepage that IE7 is moving around.
>
> I am hoping that someone here could help take a look at this page and
> give me some guidance on making this work for IE. Like I said, I'm
> mostly a backend programmer so I'm struggling to figure this out. I'm
> hoping someone here has a lot of experience with this specific problem
> and can assist me. Its for a good cause!!

I still see glitches in Firefox, namely assumptions about font size that
don't hold true in my browsing situation (11px is too small for my
browsing situations, so I override it with a larger minimum size).

Also, one should *never* do this:

{
font-size: 12px;
line-height: 14px;
}

font-size can be overridden, possibly to the equivalent of, say, 18px.
The result is unreadable (or barely readable) text because line-height
is still 14px.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>