[thelist] DB conneection to a text box - How do they do this?

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Sun Jun 24 16:02:43 CDT 2007

Hi All,

On the home page of: http://www.linkedin.com/
You can type in a big company or college, and the page automatically finds
that company or school name in their database (I am assuming it is a
database) and when you hit enter, it comes up with the number of LinkedIn
users from that place above the text boxes. I have never seen a db
connection to a form where you don't have to find the information in post or
get variables. I see this js function on the page:
 -- script type="text/javascript"--

    YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", function() {

      var acCompany = new acWidget("company", "searchString-gcs",
"http://www.linkedin.com/cs", ["company","name","count"]);

      acCompany.init();

    });

    YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", function() {

      var acSchool = new acWidget("school", "searchString-gss",
"http://www.linkedin.com/ss", ["school","name","count"]);

      acSchool.init();

    });

  --/script--
Can someone point me to a tutorial on the web that explains this?  I can't
figure out what search terms to use to google for this.  It is very cool.
Thanks,
Nan