[thelist] Video Weight

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:17:08 CDT 2007

Sorry if this is a repost, but I didn't see the last one get posted:

Can someone clarify if I am making a mistake here:

A site will have videos of 3-5 min. in length. Presuming maximum of 20
Meg per minute the largest video is 100 M. Presuming up to 10K views
per month that's 100 Gig of bandwidth?

I spoke to a certain shared host who provides that kind of bandwidth
on their standard packages and when I asked about simultaneous
viewers, they said that they allow up to 25% resource usage on a
server and the person wouldn't say how many COULD watch, but when I
asked about 1K sim. he said he thinks that's too much for a shared
server and would require a dedicated one. The price difference of
course being about a factor of 10. :)

Anyhow, am I miscalculating anything? Is this definitely a job for a
dedicated server? Any specific suggestions? Even offline. :)

Thanks!

Fredster