[thelist] Vista font sizes in CSS

Robert Douglas robert.douglas at rightmove.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 05:00:08 CDT 2007

Thanks to everyone for the discussion and help. Just to weigh in on my
own question and hopefully clarify the situation:

1. You can get the Vista fonts on XP by downloading and installing
Powerpoint 2007 Viewer (
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048DC840-14E1-4
67D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en ).
2. Specifying font-size in px: I agree and don't normally do it, but I'm
trying the YUI approach and having all fonts in the page as percentages
of this 13px base font.
3. Regards font-family grouping: Calibri seems the closest to Verdana so
I'm using this. The problem remains that Verdana 13px is big and (what I
see as) the nearest Vista equivalent (Calibri 13px) is small.

I know this is the 'nature of the web' and I'm not trying to get
pixel-perfect designs, it's just frustrating I guess - we can put
conditional statements for browsers but this is another level (IE7 on XP
will look different to IE7 on Vista).

In the end, I think we'll detect the *OS* and serve up another
Vista-specific stylesheet to override the font-family and font-size.

Note: I don't normally run with ClearType (I want to see things as most
of our users would see them) *but* the Vista fonts look a load better
with ClearType on. Not bigger, just better.