[thelist] accessing globla JS array from function

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:19:41 CDT 2007

On 7/7/07, Brian Cummiskey <brian at hondaswap.com> wrote:
> We have a DB table in our system which holds style information up to 3
> levels of style per sku (as limited by the 3rd party system).  This
> table is synced to a 3rd party system every hour, thus, i can't alter
> the table in any way.
> I've attacked this 3 different ways already, and none are working to the
> desired effect.

I still say this is a big mess because the data is not in a format
that represents the relationships you need for what you want to do
(without a lot of teasing and manipulation). Forget the integration
aspect of it for a second, and tell us what you would want the data to
look like if you had complete freedom to design the data model from
scratch.

>From there we can work to get the current data into that format
without ruining the integration points.

> 90% of the site requires javascript to function in the first place (hey,
> i didn't code it... the client did) so i'm not too worried about relying
> on it (as they probably won't even get to this point in the store
> without it on anyway).  I'm well versed  in unobtrusive methods, but at
> this point, it's really not worth my time and i just need to get it
> done.... even if it only supports 90% of users.  (i can see a thread
> forming about this already.... but at the end of the day, the client is
> already past their setup fees, and I'm pretty much working for free at
> this point)  The target audience for the store probably don't even know
> how to turn it off anyway.

No thread should come from what you've said. If it would take you
extra time to do something and that something has zero expected
benefit, then don't do it. People go a little overboard with making
sure they are executing "best practices" without regard for whether
those practices have any relevance given their specific situation.

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA