[thelist] Prevent dictionary attacks on passwords

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Tue Jul 24 11:34:00 CDT 2007

I would store this info in a DB Table. And run a nightly or hourly query to clean out data, depending on load.

I would suggest you also track bad account names. This will help you identify dictionary attacks and other nefarious deeds being attempted mas they happen. Don't just focus on the good accounts.

I'd also lock by requesting IP - granted that will close out legitimate people behind large proxies like AOL, but if you have have a reasonable unlock time-period and an admin screen to clear a lock manually - then you should be fine.