[thelist] browser emulation

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:52:55 CDT 2007

Sales @ Lycosa wrote:
> <snip>
> That's my experience as well.  Having my network guy setup some Windows
> XP virtual machines is the only solution that worked for me.  I just
> click an RDP icon to get to the virtual machine I want and it runs very
> quickly on the same network.  You can, for example, have one virtual
> machine for IE 5.5, IE 6 sp1, IE 6 sp2 and use IE 7 on your development
> computer.
> </snip>
>
> How is this achieved? Is it 3rd party software such as VMWare or is there a
> better way to do this?
>
> Phil
My network guy tells me that we are using VMware Server.  You can
download it free:

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Once agreeing to the terms of service, you can download Windows or Linux
versions.  Then you will need a Windows XP CD to install a virtual XP
workstation.  And of course you can install any OS on a virtual
machine.  It is easiest to install it on a beefy server where you can
leave multiple virtual machines running.

- Ken