[thelist] Anyone using Python?

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Tue Jul 31 08:59:58 CDT 2007

Paul Bennett wrote:

> Hi respectable eVolt community,

Your mail reached me as well.

> Just wondering if anyone is using Python?

Certainly!

> I've been using PHP for a  few years and am looking at learning
> another language in depth as a  type of side project.

Python's a good choice if you like scripting languages but find PHP too
toy-like.

It /is/ a proper general-purpose language, though, so you don't get the
whole web setup in one easily-deployable lump like with PHP. You'll have
to choose your own templating language, server gateway and so on and
stick them together yourself; there are lots of decent options and it's
not a straightforward choice.

I personally use PXTL and mod_wsgi, but CGI is probably the simplest
place to start off. Currently CGI stands most chance of you being able
to find non-dedicated hosting, though this should shift towards WSGI
(which is CGI-compatible anyway) in the future.

> My options so far are Python, Ruby or Java

Ruby is also a decent choice, and more fashionable at the moment than
Python - for what that's worth. It's a bit less mature in some ways, and
its omission of Unicode is unforgivable in a supposedly web-oriented
language, but it has some nice syntax.

Java has its place and if you want to learn some OO bondage and
discipline it's certainly educational, as well as useful in the
marketplace. But I probably wouldn't recommend it for personal,
rapid-development projects.

--
And Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com