[thelist] mail server problems

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:55:58 CDT 2007

On 8/2/07, Anthony Baratta <anthony at baratta.com> wrote:
> Brian Cummiskey wrote:
> >
> > My server is dedicated, so I guess I am the ISP :)
>
> Not always. I have dedicated servers, but no control over the reverse
> lookups for the IPs assigned to my boxen.

Exactly, usually people don't have control over their reverse. The
netblock owner controls reverse. If you have just a few IPs you
probably have no control over it, however at your server reverse DNS
should be configured as such.
Check running: host 208.101.58.177   (whatever is your server ip)
Then: host softlayer.com   (or whatever is its name)

Forward and reverse way must match, just as from 'outside'.

Regards,

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz
LPI Certified - Level 2