[thelist] md5 hashed password problem

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Aug 15 09:24:02 CDT 2007

There's a hole in the bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza.

I don't know how you could do this without knowing the passwords,
which (I assume) you don't.  In fact, if there were a way to do it
without the paswswords, I would have to conclude it was an insecure
system you're using. ;)

Since it's only 20 accounts, I would suggest assigning new temporary
passwords to the accounts, and have the account holders reset them to
whatever they like on the next login.  Depending on how secure you
need to be (is this a bank system or a newsletter?)  you could give
them the new passwords via various methods -- from paper mail to
"call me for your password".

OR... if the old system is still up, you might have them log into the
old system to get their new temp password for the new system, with a
"click here" link to the new system to reset it.

Stephen