[thelist] md5 hashed password problem

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:46:31 CDT 2007

So, out of curiousity --

/
> I don't know if that variable is global or can be changed on, say, a
> per-connection basis;

I tried a quick experiment, and it appears that you /can/ set this on a
per-connection basis. So all you have to do is flag the moved-over
users as 'uses_old_passwords', and then when one of them logs in,
do a SET OLD_PASSWORDS="OFF" before the password comparison.

Yes, ugly and annoying, and why the heck anyone'd have MySQL set
up with the old password format at this point is beyond me, but there
is at least a workaround...

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com