[thelist] Windows WebDAV problem with authentication

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:32:01 CDT 2007

I've set up WebDAV on Tomcat 6.0.13, running both Slide and the
simple Tomcat WebDAV example servlet. (Slide is actually way
overkill for what I need here.)

Basic functionality is fine, using either the Slide command line
client or Windows XP's 'Network Places' -> 'Add a Network Place';
PUT/GET/LIST -- it's all good.

However, once I add authentication (container-managed BASIC), I
can authenticate via Slide, XP/IE7 in browsing mode, but *not* as
a Windows "Web Folder".

The authentication prompt comes up; I enter username and password;
it immediately returns, changing the first to 'hostname\username'.
But it doesn't accept my password in either case.

Anyone have any idea what the hey Windows is looking for? Known
issues with WebDAV and Windows/XP(SP2)?

Failing any of that, recommendations for an alternative WebDAV
client for Windows? :-)

TIA,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com