[thelist] Failure messages spam

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Tue Aug 21 05:50:19 CDT 2007

On 21 Aug 2007, at 11:45, John Allsopp wrote:
>> The majority of messages like that I receive are of the form "random-
>> or-generic at example.com". Changing my email settings to present
>> invalid user errors for anything other than usernames I actually use
>> eliminated all by <1% of spam bounce messages.
>
> Any ideas how I configure Thunderbird to do that?

You might be able to configure it to discard such messages (I don't
use it so don't ask me how), but you can't get it to present invalid
user errors. That happens when the SMTP connection is made, and by
the time Thunderbird connects to the IMAP (or POP) server, its way
too late for that.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/