[thelist] what means .us.com?

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 04:43:38 CDT 2007

Kevin Martin scribeva in 26/08/2007 19:33:
> Kasimir said:
>> Well, yes, they seem to have a bit buggy script there... If you try
>> us.com it'll tell you it's taken. Even if you add the third level
>> sub-domain 'www' there (www.us.com), it knows it's taken. But any other
>> third level domain confuses it, so it gives 'foo.us.com' as available.

Kevin Martin scribeva in 26/08/2007 19:33:
> No, no, no -- that's not a bug.  WHOIS has done its job once it gets you
> to us.com.  WHOIS does not know or care about "foo.us.com," nor should
> it. Getting you to "us.com" is the job of WHOIS; getting you to
> "foo.us.com" is then up to the DNS provider chosen by the owner of
> us.com.

The bug I referred to is in Dreamhost's script, which tells that
foo.us.com is available - if us.com is registered, then IMO Dreamhost
shouldn't say foo.us.com is available. Rather it should be clever enough
to tell that us.com is taken and foo.us.com is a subdomain to that.

.k