[thelist] PHP/SQL query & transformation problem

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Wed Sep 12 03:41:20 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I want to redesign my database, as was recommended to me from
different sides. Although design is pretty clear, the result - and
the way to program it in PHP is really different.

As a result from my PostGres query I get something like this:

    year    |    value     |    name
---------------------------------------
   2001    |     123       |   Afghanistan
   2002    |     125       |   Afghanistan
   2003    |     128       |   Afghanistan
   2004    |     132       |   Afghanistan
   2005    |     135       |   Afghanistan

   2001    |     412       |   Albania
   2002    |     429       |   Albania
   2003    |     456       |   Albania
   2004    |     465       |   Albania
   2005    |     477       |   Albania

The way it is displayed on the web (in table form) is the "usual" way:

    name             2001    2002   2003   2004   2005
Afghanistan    ....
Albania            ....

So, I wonder, how to I get from the above SQL result - via PHP - to
the below table output? I can't imagine that I have to work with some
IFs (IF name IS Afghanistan....). Is there any "simple" procedure?

Thanks for any help!

Stef