[thelist] how secure is reasonable

Bob Meetin - www.dottedi.biz bobm at dottedi.biz
Sat Oct 6 08:48:47 CDT 2007

Silly question, but I have a client who has documents which are
confidential which he needs to share with his business partners.  They
need to be able to upload as well as catalog/organize the documents.  A
tech guy told him to buy a server and set it up in his basement, then
set up a network for sharing the docs.  Seems expensive and like
overkill to me.  The client is not 'into' techy.

I suggested we could set up a secure location on his website (hosted),
then I set up restricted access (probably php/mysql login password) and
also (I did not go into detail) I could probably set up .htaccess to
lock down the directory.

Would this be a reasonable solution?

--
Bob Meetin
dotted i - Internet Strategies & Solutions