[thelist] Alternate sources of storing data?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:23:16 CDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm working on a redsign of our speedskating club site. The new site will
have a page for each member listing a short bio and any top 10 finishes in
races. So for example, here would be a sample page:
-----------------
Joe Blow

Joe is a great skater. He likes flowers and frequently runs over them
accidentally and cries about it.

Top 10 Finishes:
2007
North Shore Inline Marathon: 5th in 45-49
St. Paul Marathon: 9th in 45-49

etc.

It seems like a lot of work to build a database interface for something this
simple. Any suggestions on how to work this out with a flat file, whether it
be an xml file or json or whatever? Basically I'd like to be able to simply
open joe_blow.txt, add a line and be done.

Any ideas are appreciated - please CC me at pixelmech at gee mail dot com.
FYI this will be on a PHP site running WordPress so PHP will be available.

Tom