[thelist] GNU / GPL

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Oct 24 11:04:48 CDT 2007

I believe I have seen software that, the first time you run it, goes
on the internet and downloads needed GPL libraries and installs
them.  This is supposedly a workaround because the GPLed library is
not actually distributed with the software itself.

I have no idea of the legality of this.  It's possible the software
authors doing this break the law.  But I have definitely seen it more
than once in non-GPL applications.  Worht checking into.

Stephen