[thelist] Why history will repeat itself with JavaScript andthe web | Technology | The Guardian

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Tue Oct 30 00:32:20 CDT 2007

> Basically, he needs to get out more.

Basically, he's a business and marketing genius who apparently gets out
exactly the right amount. He should ignore is own business acumen
because of someone else's programming opinions?

He knows exactly what he's doing. He didn't suddenly get stupid last
Tuesday, I don't think. And he didn't get where he is by doing what
others did, or what others expect. Programming is pragmatic. If there
were only one way to solve problems, computers would be writing the
code. Also we'd all still be using FORTRAN or COBOL or BASIC; I have no
idea which came first. People thought Larry Wall was nuts, too. I'm
inclined to think he had at least one good idea . . .

I can see criticising someone's methods when they fail, but pointing out
how very wrong their success is puzzles me.

I'll just be sitting here, waiting for Spolsky's NewSDK ;)

joel
(a different one)