[thelist] Other-than-XLS-format to use for Excel-Worksbooks ?

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Fri Nov 23 07:22:51 CST 2007

Hi there,

I am trying to offer alternative download formats in our data portal.
CSV is ok for a single sheet.

But it seems to be quite difficult if it gets to workbooks -
including multiple sheets, and if possible comments. One can use the
Excel-XML, but still it seems that it is mainly Excel - and not
NeoOffice, OpenOffice etc. - which is able to read that. And it is
only supported from version 2003.

HTML isn't really a solution, as it seems that one can't import it
later into any other Office package.

OpenDocument ? Didn't really find much (understandable)
documentation; and the ODF Excel or others store, is crypted.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share? Thanks for any
hints!

Stef

   Stefan Schwarzer

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography:
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch