[thelist] Developing on Linux

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Nov 27 05:18:12 CST 2007

Hi

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:44:50 +0300, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am hoping to get a new PC soon and I am strongly considering (finally)
> switching to Linux. I am hoping that once I get used to it, it will be a
> productivity enhancement.
Great to hear you're moving to Linux!

> I am considering Ubuntu, as it seems to have a nice user community and
> (most importantly) it seems easy to use. I don't want to invest a lot of
> time installing and learning the details of Linux right away--I much
> prefer to be up and running FAST and learn as I go. Any feedback
> regarding this choice of Ubuntu are much appreciated. Most important
> thing for me in my new OS--easy to install, easy to install software and
> easy to use.
Ubuntu is a very good choice. It has a huge repository of software for you
to install, which you can find and install by using the Synaptic Package
Manager (or Adept if you're using Kubuntu). It's got a decent set of
applications installed by default which should get you going initially, and
then it's only a matter of opening your package manager and
click-click-install :-)

> The one tool which I have not replaced, however, is my time tracker:
> http://www.allnetic.com/?Tracker which I use on a constant basis. I see
> on Google a few tools that claim to do this basic functionality for
> Linux so I can check those out.
There's a project management tool that I know of called TaskJuggler (KDE
application - Kubuntu's interface) http://www.taskjuggler.org/, which might
help you, or another one I found is GnoTime (Gnome application - Ubuntu's
interface) http://gttr.sourceforge.net/, which is a time tracking
application. Both of these are in the Ubuntu repositories.

> If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding this whole project, i.e.
> switching to Linux for my workstation, as in encouragement,
> discouragement (it is a lot of work, it seems, and I am not 100%
> convinced it is worth it, but I think so), tips or pointers (like join
> Ubuntu mailing list X) etc, I would be glad to hear. :)
I highly recommend switching to Linux. My wife uses Linux (Kubuntu) on her
computer, and I'm glad to say that I don't get pestered with queries about
problems or funny errors.

The Ubuntu community documentation is invaluable:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
There's also the Ubuntu forums: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Find an Ubuntu LoCo - Local Community - if you can. They are regional
communities of Ubuntu users, from "newbies" to gurus. They are in general
very friendly, and eager to help those who have just started using Linux.

See if you can find a local LUG (Linux User Group), this is similar to a
LoCo, but usually not Ubuntu-specific.

A few wise words: In this new open source world, things work slightly
differently to traditional paid-for support models. Don't expect people to
simply hand out answers to your questions. The Golden Rule is this: "Search
the Internet as thoroughly as you can, and if you cannot find a solution,
then ask us." For 90% of your problems, you'll find someone else has had
the same problem, and they have found a solution.

> PS: Sequoia View doesn't run on Linux, but for that I am happy to open a
> virtual Windows. Here is the link for Sequoia View, a great disk
> examination tool:
I found something similar. It's called Graphic Disk Map, and it looks
remarkably similar to your application. It is in the Ubuntu repositories,
so you should find it in Synaptic. http://gdmap.sourceforge.net/

All in all I hope this helps!

--
Raoul Snyman