[thelist] Developing on Linux

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Tue Nov 27 07:49:12 CST 2007

Elin Tjerngren wrote:
> I recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu Linux (on a MacBook with
> Leopard - dual boot). Of course it's a learning curve, as always when
> switching OS or applications so I still have a lot to learn. I like it
> so far :-)
>
> It's really easy to find and install new applications with Synaptic
> Package Manager, i think that's what Phil means with this:
>

>>I completed the
>>initial install in less than two hours, with the bulk of the time
>>spent browsing the package list for goodies to add on.

Indeed.  Though it's the Adept Package Manager on Kubuntu.
A.K.A. "Add/Remove Programs" in the K-Menu.

[snip /]

> I've always (too long) used Homesite on Windows and had in mind to
> switch to Emacs, though now I've started with a softer approach -
> Quanta, which is more feature rich but otherwise the same as Kate. I
> like it for its features but some people think it's too bloated (I have
> yet to find out the quirks ;-)

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give Quanta a try.

> As you can see there's no problem to use KDE programs (Like Kate or
> Quanta) on the Gnome desktop. Also there's not too much trouble to
> install Wine and then IE6 on that so you can start that as a normal
> application and test your web sites. Not much hope for IE7 so far.

I thought that using KDE-based software on Gnome disabled the
seamless remote folder functionality (kioslaves).  Please correct
me if that's not true.

Regards,

Phil
--
Need to contact me offlist?
   Drop -webdev or you probably won't get through.