[thelist] Developing on Linux

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 08:14:55 CST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 1:44 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am hoping to get a new PC soon and I am strongly considering (finally)
> switching to Linux. I am hoping that once I get used to it, it will be a
> productivity enhancement.

Good on ya', mate :-)

> Aside from those, I use UltraEdit and I am now trying to learn Eclipse,
> which has very good reviews.

Erm, well. I guess some people like it, but I'm definitely not one of 'em.

For a general-purpose programmer's editor try jEdit (<http://jedit.org/>)
and if you want a full-blown IDE try NetBeans 6 <http://netbeans.org/>)

> If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding this whole project...

Unlike the other responders, I absolutely hate "package managers".
The problem with them is the assumption that you would only ever
want a single version of some software on your machine, which
might be true for an end user, but is rarely so for a developer who
might, for example, need MySQL versions 4.1.x, 5.0.x, and 5.1.x on
the system simultaneously to support different projects.

Installing things (from source, if need be) in /usr/local with version
number, e.g. /usr/local/mysql-5.0.16/ will give you a lot more
flexibility.

> PS: Sequoia View doesn't run on Linux, but for that I am happy to open a
> virtual Windows.

You'll definitely want VMWare to run Windows for testing purposes.

HTH, and best of luck.
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com