[thelist] OT: Need a new laptop for development...

TJ iwebforums at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:18:33 CST 2007

Yup, I wont buy Dell anymore either.  Too many problems in the past 4
years.  HP, while not perfect either, has been stellar.   I cant stand
calling Dell support and speaking to someone named "Mike" in Dubai,
Abu Dahbi, or someplace like that.  I am well aware of these
outsourced call-centers using fake "American" sounding names in an
effort to try to fool us, but when the person on the phone doesnt know
where TEXAS is, there's a problem.  I purchased my laptop, desktops
AND server from Dell in the USA and would like to speak to people in
the USA, someone who knows a little bit about the company AND the area
these computers are built in and sold in - thank you.

As far as Mac go, they look pretty - thats about it for me.  I would
never pay those prices when I can get 3 equivalent Windows (Dell, HP,
Acer, etc) machines for the same price as one Apple.  Its a financial
no-brainer.  If I had money to burn, then I might because - like I
wrote, they look pretty and they look fun but I need to work and I
need to save money.   I could fully max out an HP laptop AND get a
monitor for the same price as an equivalent Apple.

I'd go with an HP from Costco.  The 90 no questions asked return
policy cant be matched anywhere and they've got at least 6
configurations on the shelf at any time for darn good prices.