[thelist] PDFs won't open in IE7 - ASP page

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:34:48 CST 2007

On 29/11/2007, L L <barn104_1999 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm working with an asp page that has several static, hard-coded links to pdf documents.  When left-clicked in Internet Explorer 7, some of my users get the "cannot open document...could not be written to cache message."  I've been reading about cache settings in headers, but I cannot find cache settings being set anywhere on my site, after a thorough site search.  As I inherited this site a few months ago, I'm still wading through the code, little by little.  Any help on how to avoid this sort of error is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Louis

You can use http://web-sniffer.net to see what response headers are
sent with your PDF documents.  Response headers can be set by your web
container or your HTTP server as well as the application itself.

There's also a IE HTTP Headers plugin at
http://blunck.se/iehttpheaders/iehttpheaders.html.

Also, are the documents being served over SSL?  There's a setting in
IE to not store secure pages, I'm not sure what the exact conditions
are, but this can sometimes get in the way.

--
Lee