[thelist] Asp - the case of single quote that wouldn't die...

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Wed Dec 5 13:51:52 CST 2007

Hi all,

I'm an ASP noob and encountered the weirdest error last night (still unresolved). Basically when I include a file, I get 2 single quote characters (' ') being outputted.

It only happens with one particular include (code included at the end of this email). The code is very simple and doesn't include any response.write() calls, so I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing this.

*Any* suggestions welcome:
(includes/memidcheck.asp)
-----
<%

If IsNumeric(Request.Form("memID")) = False Then
  error = "Member ID must be a number"
Else

  set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
  conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
  conn.Open "C:\\[path info removed]\\Database\\MemData24.mdb"

  strQuery = "SELECT * FROM MemDB WHERE NUMBER = " & Request.Form("memID")

  Set RS = conn.Execute(strQuery)

  record = 0
  while not RS.EOF
    record = 1

    txndata2 = RS.fields(1) & ", " & RS.fields(2)
    RS.MoveNext

  wend

  Rs.Close
  Set Rs = Nothing