[thelist] Asp - the case of single quote that wouldn't die...

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Dec 5 15:10:40 CST 2007

HAHA, all too familiar of a situation.

Oh crap, now I owe a tip.  Here goes (inspired by a conversation this
morning...):

<tip author="Joshua Olson" type="IE vs FF Rendering">
This is a tip for all those people who loathe Fire Fox rendering of HTML
because it just doesn't look right.

Rule #1: Fire Fox is *probably* correct, IE is likely wrong.
Rule #2: Not sure, see rule #1.

To get IE versions 6 and 7 to behave (to the best of their ability), make
sure you have a good DOCTYPE declaration and properly formatted HTML tag,
and make sure your code validates:

http://validator.w3.org/

When you view the first couple lines of your source code *from the browser*,
it should have the DOCTYPE on the first line (no blank lines) and look
something like this (watch out for wrapping!):

"http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
  <head>
charset=ISO-8859-1"/>
    ... Rest of <head> stuff here ...

IE goes into "quirks mode" when the HTML above isn't correct.  That causes
the non-standard box model to be used, which, while it makes more sense,
isn't quite the standard.
</tip>

Joshua L. Olson
WAE Technologies, Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/
Phone: 706.210.0168
Fax: 413.812.4864
Private Enterprise Number: 28752

Monitor bandwidth usage on IIS6 in real-time:
http://www.waetech.com/services/iisbm/