[thelist] Need SQL book recommendations

John Allsopp john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 23:28:03 CST 2007

Jeremy Weiss wrote:
> It looks like I'm starting to get into higher level projects that I'm accustom to, which is fine as it gives me an excuse to buy more books. But where do I start? Looking in my pipeline of projects I see that I'm going to need to learn
>
> * more SQL (specificly MySQL), perticularly in the area of fancy queries (fancy to me, anyways) and stored procs.
> * an how to build a matching / search engine type app (in PHP/MySQL)... closest analogy would be like a matching engine on a dating site, but for a totally different market with totatlly different fields.
>
> So, anyone have any book recommendations for those areas? I've gone through all the book recommendations in the archives and found a couple books that look interesting, but not quite what I think I'm looking for.

Not sure how fancy it gets for your needs (and I haven't gone through it
all) but Welling & Thomson's 'MySql Tutorial' looks pretty clear where
Kofler's MySQL left me cold.

For search engine stuff, I think Modern Information Retrieval
Baeza-Yates and Ribeiro-Neto was the accompanying book for the bit of my
uni module where we learned the bit that goes: word match is OK, but you
have to take into account word scarcity too (it's no good matching
'the'). I seem to remember the lecture was essential to understand that
point over the contents of the book tho.