[thelist] Convert (X)HTML to SVG

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:21:16 CST 2007

Hi all, first post.

When designing a website I write all the content into HTML/XHTML documents
before I let myself even consider any part of the design, just to make sure
that I get the content as good as possible. After this I make a wire-frame
diagram of each page in Inkscape (a SVG editor) so that I can play around
with the positioning of each element.

Right now, I'm basically copy and pasting each header, paragraph and list
into Inkscape, but it would be great if it were possible to automatically
convert between HTML and SVG - for example, each paragraph, div, heading,
list, etc would be converted into a different coloured box with the text
content inside. I'd imagine XHTML would be easier to convert, since like SVG
it's XML.

I've had a look around and can't find any software that already exists to do
this, does anyone know of anything? There are many programs and scripts to
convert between HTML and PDF or Postscript but sadly I can't import these
into Inkscape without either crashing it or nothing happening. How hard
would it be to make something do this in perhaps, Java?

Is there a better way to do what I'd like?

Thanks!

--
-------
-Danny King