[thelist] what characters are allowed in class="..."?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Mon Dec 24 07:06:32 CST 2007

Dear all

I read the spec and understood it in a way that all characters except
carrier-return and spaces are allowed to be used as class name:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.5.2

We have been using class name like this for long time, valid for all
browsers.
<a class="anchor-area-for-navigation-bar-item-container">...</a>

However vim often highlight it wrongly, e.g.
.anchor-area-for-navigation-bar-item-container {
    font-weight: bold;
}

in the above vim would highlight "area" differently than other words
(e.g. anchor).

Is this a mistake of vim CSS highlight or should I not use dash in class
name?

gedit seems also think dash in css class name would be wrong, for example:
.normal-question { border: thin outset maroon;}
the word normal is also highlighted and look different than "questoin"
in gedit. If it is ".normal_question" then the word normal would not be
highlighted.

P. S. css validator in w3.org do not complain about these class names
with dashes in it.

Best regards
Zhang Weiwu

--