[thelist] Emulating Frames

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Dec 28 14:01:09 CST 2007

I'm trying to replace an existing frame setup.

    |           header                          |
    +---------------------+---------------------+
    |                     |                     |
    |                     |                     |
    |    scrollable div   |   scrollable div    |
    |                     |                     |
    |                     |                     |
    +---------------------+---------------------+
    |           footer                          |

with fixed height header and footer and with the center content area
fluid as in this example:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/examples/csslayout1.html

In the center content area I have

with #left, #right { float: left }.  What I can't seem to figure out is
how to get the height of one (or both) of the left or right divs to
fill 100% height of the content area based on the current window size.

If the window is sized very tall then the content in the divs will
expand to fill the content area.  If the window is sized small the
content will shrink (and display scroll bars if needed).  There should
be a minimum width.

Can anyone point me to an example of how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org