[thelist] Marking up words in colours

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Jan 19 04:56:57 CST 2008

Not only is it a real mess, I'm very much opposed to using class names that
reflect attributes of the display, as opposed to the elements role within
the document.  But... That is a whole different conversation...

> Is there a way of just doing less typing? Or should I be forgetting
> html and using something else like svg or maybe an image with the
> coloured text, with plain text by the side.

Here's how I'd look at it:

1.  Come up with some single word to describe WHY the text is to be
multi-colored.  For this example, I'll pretend the reason is that the text
represents a trademark.
2.  Wrap the "trademarked" word in <span
class="trademark">Multicolored</span>
3.  Use CSS to style the word so that it's appropriately differentiable,
though not multi-colored.
4.  Use JS to locate the element and apply the multi-coloring transformation
using spans with inline styles.

Joshua

Joshua L. Olson
WAE Technologies, Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/
Phone: 706.210.0168
Fax: 413.812.4864
Private Enterprise Number: 28752

Monitor bandwidth usage on IIS6 in real-time:
http://www.waetech.com/services/iisbm/