[thelist] spammers - perpetrators - improving...

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Wed Jan 30 08:14:44 CST 2008

I am taking notes... some good ideas here.  I like the concept of CAPTCHA, but I have found people will manually type spam into our forms and then use the CAPTCHA to validate it.  At least they aren't bouncing spam off our servers, but still...

At present, my forms just write to a text file that I download and read.  People have bypassed the validation and other road bumps -- and try entering some sort of ASCII that I imagine would parse into some type of executable in a web page...

For that reason, I was glad that I was careful not to write to HTML because I didn't want any active code lurking there waiting to execute.  Still, it is exhausting to parse a text file containing pages of "gobbledygook" to get to an actual entry from someone who seriously wants to contact us.

Maybe I will just implement a "snail mail only" policy.  Then, at least, they will have to spend 41¢ to send me spam, LOL.

--
dwacon
http://dwacon.blogspot.com