[thelist] PHP/MSQL question millions or thousands

r937 rudy at r937.com
Wed Feb 6 12:57:03 CST 2008

one of da sharpest knives in da drawer wrote:

> Salt – to taste
> Generous pinch of salt
> Red Chili Powder – to taste, optional
> 1/4 medium Onion, finely chopped
> Lemon OR Lime Juice – 1/2 tsp
> Cilantro – 5 springs, finely chopped
> Papads – 2, any flavor
> 1/2 lb. thin bacon chopped
>
> It would be tough to handle all this in a non-painful way on the UI
> side if you had a rigid database structure like that, I would think.

pffttt, you aren't trying hard enough

    INGREDIENT(FK)    QTY             DESCR
    Salt              To taste
    Salt              Generous pinch
    Chili Powder, Red To taste        Optional
    Onion             1/4 medium      Finely chopped
    Juice, Lemon/Lime 1/2 tsp
    Cilantro          5 sprigs        Finely chopped
    Papads            2               Any flavor
    Bacon             1/2 lb.         Thin, chopped

the important part in this example is the FK

;o)