[thelist] iframe needed for progress meter?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Feb 17 09:52:33 CST 2008

Maybe of the example for upload progress meters I see on line often
use an iframe to post the form.  I think this was for browsers that
might not handle AJAX requests after posting the form.

I've only tested in Firefox but I've also seen examples that don't use
an iframe and claim to work in modern browsers.

Does anyone know the specifics when a simple post (without an iframe)
might not work?

Actually, a number of the iframe implementations I looked at were not
thought through -- two I tried when I manually stopped an upload (hit
esc) the script continued to send ajax requests (I noticed this after
about 10 minutes -- their poor test server had 600 requests by that
time... ;)

The other thing I don't like about the iframe approach is if the
posted form fails validation it's not as easy to just return the form
again in the response along with an error message saying to correct
the form (e.g. if a "title" was required along with the upload).

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org