[thelist] "Securing" a writable CSV file

Dave Stevens evolt at davestevens.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 04:51:14 CST 2008

Hi All,

I've been asked to create a site in ASP (Classic, no .NET available)
which will take values from a form and store in a CSV file on the server.

This is all fine and is working as planned, but there is a further
requirement that the CSV file should not be accessible to anyone other
than via FTP.

This has presented a problem for me as I've no idea how I can make it
writable by an asp page on the server but not accessible by entering
it's path in a web browser.

Is this at all possible? Instinct says no, hope says maybe ;)

Environment is Linux, running Chilisoft ASP (now Sun ONE asp).

TIA,
Dave

http://davestevens.co.uk