[thelist] Multilingual CMS suggestion?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Feb 27 01:45:01 CST 2008

> The upgrade from 4.7 to 5.1 was a major one.  Many 4.7.x site owners
> didn't feel the need to upgrade and module makers continue to support
> them with updates.  There are still quite a few successful Drupal 4.7
> sites coping up nicely.

Our site, www.openlp.org, was originally done in 4.7, and has a number of
contributed modules, like the i18n stuff, and actually upgraded VERY
easily. I was expecting breakage, but there was none.

> Personally, I find the best way to upgrade Drupal is by a complete
> overhaul as you said.  If you use just the basic package, upgrade might
> be smooth, but that's rarely the way we use Drupal.  It's the extra
> modules we added and tweaked, that causes the hiccups.

Very true. The Drupal project recommends you disable all contributed
modules before upgrading. You'll probably want to do that and then install
the updated modules after you've done the core upgrade.

--
Raoul Snyman
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za