[thelist] variable "www" with htaccess?

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:29:27 CDT 2008

Joost van Velzen scribeva in 2008-03-10 13:34:
> Does anyone know how i can have the www part of an URL changed into
> something I have in my database (e.g. a username)?
> Can i do this with htacces, do I need to change some apache settings as
> well?

My first thought was "can't be done" - so I had to do some googling to
see how it is done :-) I'm not an Apache guru, but hopefully can give
you some pointers.

You'd have to use mod_rewrite[0] to rewrite "www" to your liking. You
can use it in .htaccess files, but it works faster in httpd.conf.

That's the easy part... Getting mod_rewrite to talk to a db is the
tricky thing. It could be using RewriteMap[1]. There's also
mod_dbd[2][3], but I don't really know anything about it :-} However, in
his blog Nick Kew says: "I’ve just added SQL database-based lookups to
mod_rewrite’s rewritemap feature, using Apache DBD."[4]

Hopefully these links give some help. And once you get this thing
working, please remember to tell us how :-)

.k

[0]http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html
[1]http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritemap
[2]http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dbd.html