[thelist] Weird Data from Text File:

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 04:00:47 CDT 2008

Casey Crookston wrote:
> Hey there, I'm seeing something really odd in a pretty simple select
> I'm doing out of a comma delimited text file:
>
> Here is what I saw for the first column's name:
>
> Advertiser
>
> I have NO idea where the  is coming from!  It most certainly is not
> in the text file!!!
>
> Any ideas?

Looks like an encoding mix-up to me.  I sometimes get the same thing when
opening text files created in a UNIX-environment in Windows Notepad.  Always
at the beginning of the file.

That code looks like .NET to me, so it's most likely running on a Windows
machine.  Were the text files created on a Mac or *nix machine by any
chance?  If so, see if it helps to save it in Windows or MS-DOS encoding.

HTH,
Rick.