[thelist] learn Websphere (was RE: pre-project planning)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 10:42:32 CDT 2008

On 21 Mar 2008, at 13:57, Joel D Canfield wrote:

>> And you don't even want to *know* about the difficulty we
>> have finding
>> good Websphere people[1]. Or Control-M (which I'm still convinced is
>> not much more than a pretty front end to cron :-) )
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>> [1] and remember who my employer is. Even *we* go to the sodding
>> contract market. I'm tellin' ya - learn Websphere, be able to
>> communicate at a near-human level and you're gravy
>
> I'll second that. Maybe third it, even. Last full time job I had a few
> years ago, we had a *team* assigned to a single Websphere install, and
> in three years I never saw anything like stability or consistency. It
> was frightening and a little sad.

*shrug* my previous project built 8 environments of one sort or
another, each consisting of multiple boxes all running apps on WAS,
and had a total of 2 WebSphere guys on the team. And one on the app
support team that took it over. Now *finding* half-way capable people
who also fulfilled the basic criteria for human beings was a right
pain, but the apps were stable enough.

Cheers
Martin