[thelist] [Bulk] Re: learn Websphere (was RE: pre-project planning)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 05:48:06 CDT 2008

On 21 Mar 2008, at 21:55, Kipper Timmins wrote:

> Hrmmm I've been following this thread (slowly) and I have a
> question, what
> is websphere?

It's an application server (actually, a family of servers, but we're
talking about the J2EE App Server) made by IBM, broadly competitive
with Apache Tomcat and BEA WebLogic. Many enterprise apps require a
J2EE server to run on, and pretty much all of those run on WebShere,
particularly if you're in a Unix environment.

There's also a free (beer) community edition available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_WebSphere_Application_Server
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASCE
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/community/