[thelist] Page weight -- good examples of "light" sites?

Clive R Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Wed Mar 26 15:53:51 CDT 2008

It seems the typical home page for a website nowadays weighs in at about 500KB or more (according to a quick sampling I just did. We used to aim for 50-60kb total for a web page. Are there any important (i.e. high profile) sites now that could still fit that guideline?

What current sites could be used as examples of excellent design, usability, and content all wrapped up in a "low-bandwidth" package? Just to be flexible, we could set the upper limit at a few hundred KB. Alternative versions don't count.

::. clive

Clive Sweeney
Durham NC